Tuesday 31 January 2012

Eton mess cupcakes



I know Valentines day isn't everyone's cup of tea and to be honest it isn't really mine. I cannot be dealing with over the top shows of affection, not me at all! Instead I'm much more of a 'token' person. My boyfriend normally makes me a CD and buys dinner and I like to bake him something in cute little heart cupcake cases, purely because it gives me an excuse to buy them. He's an eton mess fan so last year I made him eton mess cupcakes, they are as good as they sound! They can be a little bit of effort (making the strawberry sauce) but that was all part of the fun for me and made me feel like a domestic goddess (which isn't a way I'd normally describe myself). Even if I do say so myself, they taste great, if you're not making them for val day, just make them! I don't know whether or not to go for the tried and true eton mess cupcake again this year or broaden my baking horizons a bit further? Any ideas? Let me know if you try them! I followed this recipe here. The silcone heart shaped cases are from M&S!


For the cupcakes
  • 125 g Golden caster sugar
  • 125 g margarine
  • 125 g self-raising flour
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • Red food colouring, optional
  • ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or 3 drops of vanilla essence
For the buttercream
  • 100 g butter
  • 220 g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the strawberry sauce
  • 15 strawberries
  • 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
To decorate
  • 1-2 meringue, crumbled
  • strawberries

    LUCILLEX

    28 comments:

    1. Yum yum, that looks great!

      I think your valentine's day sounds lovely, simple & sweet which is completely the best and the most genuine way to show your affection. Thats also how Jeremy and I spend our Valentine's Day.


      The Urban Umbrella
      xoxo


      http://urbanumbrella.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh wow those cakes look amazing! I'm going to have to have a go at making them.

      Shona. x
      www.shona-says.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ooo like. like. like.



      Minted Magazine


      mintedmag.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. Replies
      1. Thank you sweety! I will follow you, follow me back :)

        Delete
      2. Thank you sweety! I will follow you, follow me back :)

        Delete
      3. Sorry, I can´t find the following button. Can you help me? :/

        Delete
    5. Ooh these look amazing, yum! Unfortunately I don't have a boyfriend to use as an excuse for making these, so will just have to make some all for myself instead haha!

      Gillian x
      elevatormusik.com

      ReplyDelete
    6. Delicious! <3

      I invite you to
      http://fashion-whoknow.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    7. Mmmm these look SO tasty! I am definitely going to try this :) xx

      ReplyDelete
    8. Yum! I'm definitely going to try to make these! <3

      ReplyDelete
    9. those cakes look yummyyyy :D

      http://thelilbells.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    10. Yummm, these look good! I love strawberries :) x

      ReplyDelete
    11. I wish I could be a domestic goddess for Valentine's day! ;) Those cupcakes look amazing, they must taste good. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Looks delicious! Follow each other? ;)
      Xoxo,
      Anna

      http://dirtysexylaundry.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    13. Oh wow these look absolutely delicious!x

      ReplyDelete
    14. Looks so yummy!

      Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
      SHOP: www.saboskirt.com
      BLOG: www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    15. Looks delicious! :)

      http://englishroseuk.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    16. Wow these cupcakes look yummy! I'm going to try raspberry macaroons this valentines day and the upside to me being single is that I can eat them all to myself hehe!
      dimplesdiaries

      ReplyDelete
    17. Love these, am definitely gonna try them!
      Ellie (ecandtheworld.blogspot.co.uk)
      X

      ReplyDelete

    I really love reading your comments!